Friday, August 29, 2008

Police Reports

One of my biggest pet peeves is when I get a new claim and it has no information about anybody involved in the accident except for my insured. There is generally a comment at the end of the claim report that says, "Information in Police Report." Just in case you were wondering, if this is how you report your claim to your insurance company, what you are really telling your adjuster is, "Take your time, this isn't that important to me." Allow me to explain.

The process for an insurance company to get a police report is a bit lengthy. You have to put in a request to the actual department where the report was taken, and then wait for your request to make it through their hoops. Once they have done that they make sure your check clears. Once the money is in the bank, then they send you your police report (via bulk mail I think). Average time for me to get a report is one to two months. If the report was written by the LAPD it takes 4 to 6 months to get the report. I can't investigate my claim unless I know who was involved, and how to contact them or their insurance company. I have spoken to a lot of people who think that once the police show up they will take care of everything. Good Luck. I've had police reports where the officer pulled out whatever he found in the glove compartment and wrote it on the report. The insurance was expired, the registration out of date, and the officer didn't get a phone number for the driver. The police motto is to protect and serve, not to write stupid accident reports.

Real Life Example:

I get a claim that only has my insureds information listed. For the other vehicle it simply says, "red 4-door." The comment states: Info in police report (LAPD). When I check my insureds declaration page I notice he doesn't have collision coverage. So I call my insured:

Me: Do you have information on the other driver?

Insured: No.

Me: How about the car he was driving?

Insured: No.

Me: What do you have?

Insured (somewhat indignant): I told you it was in the police report!

Me: Do you have a copy of the police report?

Insured: No.

Me: Well, it looks like the LAPD took the report so it is going to take 4 months or so before I can contact the other insurance company.

Insured: So, what do I do now?

Me: Wait.

Insured: That's it?

Me: Yup.

Insured: Thanks for nothing! (hangs up)

Me (after insured hangs up): Ditto!

What does this guy expect from me? I guess I'm supposed to start searching the entire greater L.A. area for a 4-door red car with a dent in the front bumper being driven by a 30 year old man. That profile only matches about 50,000 cars in L.A., I'll get right on that!

Helpful tip:

When you are in an accident get as much information as you can about the other driver, any passengers in their car, and the other car itself. Take pictures if you can, it will help you remember where damage was, the position of the cars, skid marks, and other important info. Some people will not want to give information to you, but the following is a list of things you should obtain if you can:
1.)The year, make, model, color, license plate number, and VIN number of the other car
2.) The other Driver's name, address, phone number, drivers license number, date of birth, and physical description
3.)The other driver's insurance information, and vehicle registration.
4.) Name, address, and phone number of any passenger in the other car (and your car)

Some people will not want to give personal information. If this is the case, call the police and they will force the other party to share their information. If the party states they will leave if you call the police tell them you will get their plate # and report the accident as a hit and run when the police do get there (this should encourage them to stay). When the police get there, make sure you have all the information you need, don't rely on the police to get the information to your insurance company.

No comments: